Thursday, December 3, 2009

I have never considered myself a "mystery/crime" reader. Late last year, I picked up "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson and flew through it. Pretty sure I didn't even pause to sleep while reading that book. After finishing that amazing book, I was shocked that I wanted to read some more books that are located in the mystery/crime genre. After many suggestions, I picked up one of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. It was a easy, fun read that I was able to complete in one sitting, but I found it lacked the substance that I had found in Larsson's book. I don't consider myself a book snob, but I was not really thrilled with the heavy hitters of the mystery/crime genre. I read James Patterson, Diane Mott Davidson, and I even tried Patricia Cornwell, but I was still hungering for a more juicy plot. This is when one of my co-workers suggested "Shutter Island" by Lehane. I agreed to read it for two main reasons. #1: My co-worker has always suggested wonderful reads. #2: I had happened to see a preview for the upcoming movie that stars Leonardo DiCaprio (and I always have to read the book before I see the movie).
I will be quite honest, that book sat on my night stand for about a month before I picked it up mid-morning one Saturday. It grabbed my about 30 pages into the story, and after that I could not put it down. I read all afternoon, and into the wee hours of morning. The story takes place on Shutter Island, which is located off the coast of Massachusetts, that is home to a mental institution. It follows the investigation of two U.S. Marshals on the hunt for an escaped patient. That is all I feel comfortable about giving away the ending, but I will say that I was completely taken aback by the ending. I had to re-read the ending to make sure that I had read it correctly the first time through. Swing by the store to grab your copy before the movie comes out, or grab it for a wonderful Christmas present for that person in your life who loves a good web of intrigue.
When you stop by the store, I would love to hear suggestions for more "mystery/crime" books. I think that I am hooked :)

No comments: