Thursday, June 25, 2009

Short Stories for Summer Days

For myself, summer is an excellent time to get out, enjoy the weather, and the long hours of sunshine. My days fill up fast with activities such as hiking, walking the dogs, gardening (although I must admit my garden is looking a little sad, it is my first year for trying my green thumb :), and riding bikes. After spending many hours in the sun, I find that when I finally head home I am exhausted; which makes it hard to read anything. Being an avid reader, I am constantly disappointed in myself when I fall asleep reading a book that I wanted to read in the first place. Well, my friends, I think I have found a solution to that problem.
Currently, I am reading The Best American Short Stories 2008 edited by Salman Rushdie & Heidi Pitlor. In this collection of twenty short stories, there are such authors as the recognizable T.C. Boyle, and Allegra Goodman; as well as some author whose first published work are included in this book. This is an excellent book, to randomly pick up and read from, being the longest story in the book is only about 30 pages. Great for me to read before I head off to Dreamland :)
Although, I do not normally read short stories, I am finding that I am really enjoying this collection. My favorite story, thus far, has to be The Year of Silence by Kevin Brockmeier; that chronicles a city's year of self-imposed silence. Utterly amazing ending; truly a universal message. A.M. Homes' May We Be Forgiven, was so disturbing and shocking that I am still trying to decide if I am glad I read it or not.
On top of being a treasure of short stories, this particular book has been selected to be the Anthology Reader's Circle July book. For any of you out there looking for a laid back, low key book club, that meets once a month, feel free to stop by and check Anthology Reader's Circle out. Recently, we have added an evening book club for those of you that can not make it in the mornings. In July, discussing this particular book, the Circle will meet on Wednesday, July 15th at 6pm, and on Thursday, July 16th at 10am. We love meeting new people, and feel free to read all the stories in this book, or just the ones that "call" to you.
Whether or not you make it to the book club, this is an amazing summer read, that gives you the freedom to enjoy all that summer has to offer. Happy Summer, and Happy Reading!

No comments: